Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Adam Lambert's Teenage Singing Coach & Mentor Lynne Broyles


Vocal coach Lynne Broyles mentored young teenage Adam Lambert.

"One day Adam came into my studio and he had a hard day and he said, 'Can I sing my emotions out for you Lynne?' I said, 'Sure' He started singing. I looked at him and I said, 'Adam, you're gonna be a star'."

Source: "E! True Hollywood Story" November 21, 2010


“Adam was always a mover; he was someone who wanted to make people feel things,” said Lynne Broyles, Lambert’s former vocal coach. “The stage is home to him. It’s like he’s always been there.”
SOURCE

Adam mentioned Lynn on the red carpet at Logo's Trailblazer Awards June 26, saying she gave him his "gay card" teaching him about gay music history as a youth and wished her a happy birthday:




At age 12, Adam performed the role of the Russian tenor in the musical "Fiddler on the Roof". In the group number "To Life", he had to hold a very high note for quite a long time before launching into a solo. The audience was flabbergasted. Adam's parents realized at that moment how gifted he was as a singer. 

They decided to send him to work with a private vocal coach, Lynne Broyles, who taught him vocal technique and really helped him develop his incredible instrument. Adam was very curious and enthusiastic and would ask her a million questions, soaking up her knowledge. A few years later, Lynne founded her own theater group, called "Broadway Bound Youth Theatre Foundation". Adam performed with that group as well as the CTN.
SOURCE

During Adam's "E! True Hollywood Story":
"Lynne Broyles, Adam’s first vocal coach, reduced to tears just thinking about Adam’s performance of “Mad World” during Idol’s eighth season. (Awww.)"
http://www.ew.com/article/2010/11/22/adam-lambert-e-true-hollywood-best-moments


What did you learn from taking voice lessons? 
I reconnected with my voice teacher because of “Idol” and I invited her to come to the show. I asked her, “What was it like when I first came in? What was going on?” And she said, “You had this seamless sound to your voice, but you wanted to understand it. You wanted me to explain physically how it worked all the time and when you couldn’t hit a note, you wanted to know why and you wanted to fix it.” She told me, “You were really intense about it,” and that was very interesting to me. I remember [bringing her] the “Jesus Christ Superstar” recording and all those high screams that they do, and I said, “Teach me how to do this,” and she replied, “You don’t teach that sound. That’s something you just make. I think you might have to get older to make that noise.” So I waited. 
From Adam Lambert: The ultimate interview, Part One
by Fred Bronson of The Los Angeles Times. http://adam-lambert.org/




Adam Lambert Interview by Jan Gradvall published in Swedish Di Weekend June 26, 2015


When did you begin to sing?
“I started doing different musical theatre productions when I was about nine. I loved it.”
Did you take vocal lessons?
“Yes, I started doing that when I was about 13 years old.”
In what way? Singing scales?
“Yes, all of that. But I had a fantastic vocal coach who taught me not only techniques but singing overall. She became like a mentor to me, and introduced me to all the classics: movies, musicals, recordings.
She taught me about the great singers, the great composers. In a way, it is like I got my education from a previous generation.”
Even without knowing that, that shows in your artistry.
“That is probably true. I carry things with me from the old golden era of entertainment that she taught me.”
So you sat and watched videos during your vocal lessons?
“Yes. She also taught me about gay history, all the iconic stuff.”
You mean like Judy Garland?
Judy Garland, Liza Minnelli, Barbra Streisand. I got that entire education from her. I hadn’t even come out of the closet at that time. I told my parents first when I was 18. But my vocal teacher knew without even asking. She knew.”
“I have also continued sharing the knowledge she gave me. I have gay friends who think everything began with BeyoncĂ©. I mean, hello. So I teach them, ‘this is Bob Fosse, this you have to know’.”
There are actually details in the production that feel a little bit Bob Fosse. Finger snapping. Whistles.
“Definitely. The things that are a bit dramatized. Very Fosse.”
Translated by Adam Lambert Sverige 
Source: http://adamlambert.se/adam-lambert-interview-in-di-weekend/

Original article: Jan Gradvall
http://www.di.se/di/artiklar/2015/6/26/adam-lambert-far-svensk-draghjalp-2/


^^

3 comments:

  1. Hey,
    Great information I got here. I've been reading about this topic. I found it here in your blog. I had a great time reading this.
    Regards
    Vocal Lessons in Nashville TN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! I think they were lucky to find each other.

      Delete
  2. Saxophone Lessons Newmarket
    If you are serious to learn the perfect Saxophone Lessons in Mississauga, Newmarket, Oakville and Rosedale with expert teachers, then Rockstar Music Central is the place for you.

    ReplyDelete